What better way to get your child active than to have them run a half marathon! Here's how our Youth Half Marathon will work:
- Each child will register online through the normal registration link on our webpage.
- Print a copy of the ACTIVITY LOG found here.
- Run/walk 1 mile per week for the 12 weeks prior to April 11, 2014. You can do this in increments or a full one mile at a time, it's up to you. If you miss a week, be sure to make it up so that you complete 12 miles prior to race day.
- Log your miles on your activity log each week.
- Bring your activity log and a signed waiver with you on race day (Friday, April 11) to vouch that you completed 12 miles.
- On race day, you'll run 1.1 miles to complete the 13.1 distance of a half marathon (participants will need to be able to finish 1.1 miles in less than 30 minutes).
According to the American Heart Association, here are a few more facts about children and exercise.
- Children in the United States today are less fit than they were a generation ago. Many are showing early signs of cardiovascular risk factors such as physical inactivity, excess weight, higher blood cholesterol and cigarette smoking.
- Even though heart attack and stroke are rare in children, evidence shows that the process leading to those conditions begins in childhood.
- The National Health and Nutrition Examination Study (NHANES, 1999-2004) found that the prevalence of overweight American adolescents ages 12-19 was 17.9 percent for males and 16.0 percent for females. There was an increase of nearly 179 percent from 1971 to 2004.
- 37.2 percent of high school students spend three or more hours a day watching TV.
- Inactive children are more likely to become inactive adults.
- Healthy lifestyle training should start in childhood to promote improved cardiovascular health in adult life. The following good health practices should be promoted among children:
- regular physical activity
- a low-saturated-fat, low-cholesterol diet after age 2
- smoking prevention
- appropriate weight for height
- regular pediatric medical checkups
Each participant will receive a custom cotton t-shirt, official finisher's medal (same as adult half marathon finishers), and the right to say you ran a half marathon!
Youth Half Marathon Course Map
- No refunds!
- Youth Half Marathon participants must be 14 and under on day of race.
- Rain or shine!
- No dogs allowed!
If you would like to get your school involved, please email us at firstname.lastname@example.org.